Monday, March 31, 2008

This morning's medical adventure

I was excited that I had to go to the optometrist and the radiology lab this morning because it meant I would get to be an hour late to work. I was SUPPOSED to drive the complete opposite direction of work on a Monday morning - wonderful! I haven't gotten my eyes checked in 4 years so I was slightly worried about what they might say but the missing work out weighed any anxiety I was feeling and I headed for Ventura bright and early this morning.

I had a lovely visit with the Doctor while he checked my eyes. He told me that if everyone's eyes were like mine he would need a new job, I have better vision than an Air Force Pilot that was recently in his office, and for insurance purposes we had to make up a problem so that the insurance would pay for my visit (we decided on itchy I think). He explained how the glaucoma "air-puff" test works (which was very interesting) and assured me several times that my eyes were perfect. He then told me "I think you're terrific, kid." I think he meant my vision but I'm going to take it both ways. I really enjoyed hearing that my vision is still "better than perfect" but not just because it was an ego boost and saved me money on glasses.

The reason I'm bragging about this is because there was very little genetic chance for me to have good vision. There are some members of my family with good eyesight but both of my parents have needed fairly strong prescriptions since they were young children. The story that I remember is that once my mom was pregnant with me, a group of people decided to lay their hands on her stomach and they prayed for my eyesight.

Not only do I have 20/15 vision (a.k.a. "better than perfect") I get quite a lot of complements about the beauty of my eyes as well as if God went above and beyond their prayers. To be honest there have been moments where I've gotten a little vain about my blue eyes (there have been times when I've felt that they were the only thing going for me). But most of the times when my eyes are a topic of conversation (especially when my vision is the topic of the complement) it reminds me that God was already loving and healing me before I was born. And that was something I really needed to be reminded of today.

The rest of morning was spent going to medical clinics #3 and #4 attempting to get a hard copy of x-rays they took at clinic #2 (and it was the 2nd time I went into clinic #2 because the x-ray machine was broken the first time) after I left the Optometrist at clinic #1. Luckily there were a couple nice people that helped me figure out 1. where I was 2. where I should be 3. where the x-rays were and 4. how to get us all in the same place. Once I got to Santa Barbara I still had to go to the drug store (for my cough) and the grocery store (for my lunch) before I finally made it to work! oy! (I was a full 2 hours late for work by the way.)

But God is still working, He knit us together in our mothers' wombs and He knows what is best for us - especially when we don't.

Topic of my next blog (hopefully): Thomases of the doubting variety.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

that's such a blessing to have excellent eyesight! very cool story about how it was prayed for even before you were born.